Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Feb 6, 2009

Volume 12

It is back to basics this week as Star-man challenges my basic skills as a trainer. Like the adolescent he is, Star tests me to discover whether I really mean it and whether I am willing to do what it takes to enforce the rules, even on a beautiful day in the country, when it would be so easy to look the other way. This week's lessons:
  1. Patience
  2. Timing
  3. Consistency

Excerpted from Volume 12, The Real Time Canine:

Patience, timing and consistency go hand in hand. I am patient with Star because he is young and a completely blank slate. The only things he knows are what I've taught him, good and bad. I will give him lots of time to mature, teaching him lessons along the way that are appropriate for his age. The best part of having to consistently repeat a particular lesson over time is how rewarding it is when a dog finally understands what I want. I love that feeling, and it seems to me that they do too. Once my dog and I have experienced that together, trust develops. Instead of fearing that it won't happen, I trust that he will eventually understand. In turn, my dog trusts that I will give him sufficient time and support necessary to do so.

There is still time to help me attain my goal of donating $500 to the ASPCA from subscriptions received during the month of February. You can help yourself raise a great dog, and the ASPCA prevent cruelty to animals.

No comments: