Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Feb 15, 2009

Volume 13

Star has been with me for 3 months already and it was time to reflect and consider what he has learned. This week I gave a pupdate. In the last few months Star has learned to be a respectful, well mannered good citizen that crates easily, travels well, play well with other humans and animals, and is relaxed, confident and quiet. Quite simply, this puppy is a complete joy to have in my kennel. Here is an excerpt:

Star knows how to please me and what it sounds like when he has. The same for correction and he knows the difference between the two. For me, this is the most important lesson as everything we do from now on will be based on approval and correction. "Yes, you're doing it right," and "no, that's not it. I don't want him to be afraid of correction. I want him confidently looking for "yes, right!" I have already witnessed in him the desire to seek that out and I'm excited and pleased about that. Disobedience elicits a growl from me and compliance gets the happy tone. It's as if I were flipping a switch, his body language and expression are so different between the 2 voice responses. As he matures, while I handle him in this manner, he will choose behavior that garners him the happy tone more often than not, and pretty quick I'll have a well trained dog that is happy, secure and confident. Wonderful!

I have not yet reached my goal of $500 to be donated to the ASPCA from subscriptions to The Real Time Canine. If you or your friends or family would like to benefit the country's oldest animal cruelty prevention organization and receive weekly lessons on how to raise a great dog, I welcome your participation. On February 11 the organization raided a Tennessee puppy mill and rescued 285 mostly small breed dogs from squalid conditions, and they could really use your help right now. If you would prefer to simply make a donation directly to the ASPCA, please do so with my thanks.

No comments: