Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Feb 22, 2009

Week 14

This week I was considering how my relationship with Star effects his training and whether I do things differently with each of my dogs depending on how I feel about them emotionally. I must have a truly strong attachment to a dog for us to be at our best together and I believe that love and devotion, rather than fear, from Star will compel him to try his best all the time. This week's lesson:
  1. Affection

Here is an excerpt: Star is at an age where he's just a little busy for all the hugs and kisses. Don't get me wrong, he enjoys it and will relax completely with me, but he would just as soon be outside with the big dogs. They are much more interesting just now. When it's his turn to come in for the night, I usually get down on the floor and give him a huge snuggle after I first let him out of the crate in the morning. He's torn between running for the back door and the big dogs and throwing himself down to soak it all up. As he's matured, he is choosing the snuggle over the big dogs a bit more, but becomes impatient with me after a few minutes and heads for the door. Since he's learned so much in the last 3 months, I have lots of reasons to praise him up, so I let him go and satisfy my need to show him affection after he's done something particularly brilliant, which happens fairly often. The big dogs would sit in my lap all day if I let them.

For every subscription received during the month of February, I made a donation to the ASPCA, and the fund raiser was a huge success. I have made the decision to continue this effort from now on. From every subscription to The Real Time Canine that I receive, a portion of the fee will go to the ASPCA. In this way, subscribers can help themselves raise better dogs and together we can benefit all animals. From a 1 year subscription, $3 will go to the ASPCA, $2 for 6 months and $1 for 3 months, with my sincere appreciation and thanks.

No comments: