Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Feb 1, 2009

Week 11

Star has graduated from the retractable leash to a 4 foot fixed leash. He has learned that he must stop when I call him, but now he is receiving formal lessons in coming all the way to me when I call. A lie down will become useful when I begin his training on livestock, so I am teaching that now too. It is easy to train these 3 disciplines together and I always do. Because Star has a solid training foundation, these things are easy for him. Work hard in the beginning to train your pup, then training becomes easier as your pup grows.

This week's lessons:
  1. Walking on a leash
  2. Lie down
  3. Come here

Excerpted from Volume 11, The Real Time Canine:

It just makes me crazy to see a handler being walked by their dog. The handler has a hold of the leash and their dog is straining at the end of it, usually wild-eyed, panting and lunging, and, incredibly, sometimes barking at the same time. Many times the handler will be stooped over skidding along behind while speaking to the dog as if it had any affect. This is disrespectful, plain and simple. No matter what discipline you choose to participate in with your dog, even just keeping it as a family pet, your dog will not do what you want it to unless it respects you. If you want your dog to be housebroken, it must respect you. If you don't want it to bite people, it must respect you. If you want it to be a quiet dog, obedient dog, successful working dog, successful sport dog or well-adjusted family pet, it must respect you. There are many ways to engender respect from your dog and proper leash walking is a big one.

A Utah dog trainer has written to tell me that she has recommended to her students that they subscribe to The Real Time Canine. Referrals are the highest praise, and I thank you very much.

No comments: