Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Nov 30, 2009

Week 54

I am continuing to improve Star's outruns in the big field. Exhibiting confidence issues, he still turns in or stops to look at me if he loses sight of his sheep while running out. At 13 months, it is no big deal and I am happy to report that he will take a re-direct without hesitation, which exhibits his confidence in me at least.

This week's lessons:
  1. Wider and deeper
  2. Away-to-me revisited
  3. Some things are just easy

Here's an excerpt:

We worked today on the away-to-me outrun. I haven't been doing much of it because it was to the left where he struggled the most, and so where I hadn't before, today I noticed a tendency to come in flat at the top. I shortened things way up, stood near the sheep and sent him from a hundred yards or so to the away-to-me side. It was my intention to give him a voice correction at the point where he flattens out, but Star man is much smarter than that, and took my presence as a reason to cast out nice and deep. I repeated the exercise and gave him the voice correction anyway, then let him have his sheep on the fetch while I turned my back and walked to the trailer. Star performed the task of loading them with his usual efficiency and off we went.

No comments: