Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Apr 12, 2009

Week 21

I began Star's training on stock this week, and boy was he good! Better than I had hoped for even. He balanced, and flanked and even lay down at the appropriate times. He was so good, in fact, that after only 1 day in the round pen, I moved him out to the 3-acre field where he continued to shine.

This week's lesson:
  1. Get sheep!

Here's an excerpt:

As long as I've had Star he has been very keen and brave towards sheep, so I put a long line on him to make sure he didn't hurt my freshly shorn, tender-skinned ewes. It wasn't necessary and I took it off almost immediately. I have never formally introduced him to stock, but he's had access to them through the fence all of his life, so while I left the other dogs kenneled, I took Star to the little field and let him have a look from outside the round pen with the sheep inside. He was absolutely enthralled and left no doubt that he was ready to start. As I led him into the pen, there was no hesitation on his part and he started going away-to-me to balance. That's when I removed the long line as it was apparent he was going to fetch sheep, not eat them. After that it was easy.

Now there are even more reasons to subscribe to The Real Time Canine. So that you can witness each step of Star's development, I will be reporting a daily training diary with each week's post. Please join us now for an in depth look at the genesis of a sheepdog and benefit the Mid-Atlantic Border Collie Rescue and the ASPCA with each 1 year and 6 month subscription. Do you know of someone who would enjoy this digest? The Real Time Canine makes a great gift!

No comments: