Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Apr 7, 2009

Week 20

Star went traveling this weekend and spent 3 blissful days at the San Joaquin Valley Border Collie Association Deer Creek Trial in the central California farm town of Porterville. It was his first overnight dog trial and his first time traveling in the 5th wheel RV. He showed his maturity, good manners and good training and he was a pleasure to have on the trip.

This week's lesson:

  1. Dog trialing

Here's an excerpt:

This was only Star's second dog trial, but you would have thought he was an old hand. I was so pleased with him. He showed maturity beyond his months, never made a sound and tolerated all the shuffling, traveling, unfamiliar surroundings and strange dogs with good manners and better sense. All my training came together as he recalled from strange dogs that were running in packs in the mornings, after the trial and in the river. He was intrigued to be sure and even got his hair up some, but he took his lead from my big dogs and when they came when called, he did too. If I wasn't running a dog, he was with me and that's usually the way it is for me at a trial when I'm training a young dog. I am with all the dogs together, running a dog, or I have the youngster beside me on a leash. It is a valuable opportunity to teach and enforce good manners and socialization. Why waste it? I never do.

There is a big event coming next week in The Real Time Canine. Please subscribe today and join us for Star's new beginning.

No comments: