Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Nov 21, 2010

Week 101

A compilation of events conspired to put me somewhere south of productive this week. As a result, and such as it is, here is this week's RTC. As always, I appreciate your patience, support and continuing readership. Thank you.

So what were those pesky events anyway?

Don't touch my babe
First off, my Dorper ewes are still overly cautious of their babes making any dog work on them undesirable at best. My ewes are proving to be very good mothers, milking like Holsteins and fiercely protective. I will breed them all again.

So, where is that box stall you promised me?
Then we had an uncommon amount of rainfall. It is still raining as I write, and it's a bit nippy by Cali standards. Was that a huge guffaw I heard from you hearty folks in the truly cold country? OKOK, I deserved that.

800 mg Motrin! You're missing out if you haven't tried it
A latent back problem was exacerbated at work, and I got a cold. My sore back is the result of mild scoliosis, previously undiagnosed and discovered in an X-ray, but the cold was not bad.

Fresh Sheep
And finally the addition of fresh sheep, which are simply too fresh to tolerate any of my dogs except Price, the world's steadiest sheepdog. (for my money, any way) Well, Star man did great with them too, but stock and dog went to opposite corners of a 3-ac pasture when Mirk approached, so I left them to settle. Bill Gary described these 9 month old Border Cheviots as "little kittehs," and he's not far off.

So what were the dogs up to?

Now 6 month old Jed busied himself grinning and playing
Star man did chores as needed
Price defended his canine superiority
Mirk patiently waited. for. me.

And Dexter made sure his winter duds fit right and looked sharp

That is all...

No comments: