Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Oct 7, 2010

Week 95


I admit it. I only worked my dogs once this week. Yes, I can be very lazy, and yes, that is part of the story of my dogs. Sometimes they have to be that good without consistent training, and sometimes they are not up to the task. Good bad, right, wrong, challenging, or challenged, it is always my responsibility to see that my dogs get what they need in the way of training, and this week...I didn't.

This week's lessons
  1. Resiliency
  2. Short and sweet
  3. Worry-wart
Here's an excerpt:

There was one hiccup today that has proven to be a problem from time to time, and it doesn't occur while we're working. It occurs afterward. The dog in for a lesson is proving to be a tough nut to crack, and there's a bit of strong correction that takes place when she works. Star does not like it at all. He has never personally received anything half as strong, it is unfamiliar to him, and makes him very nervous. When the other dogs works, he goes to the end of his chain to hide as far under the truck as he can. When I called him off today, instead of going to the truck, he ran into some tall brush nearby and refused to come out. He has done this on one other occasion, and it was when I had that same dog in for training. It took some coaxing to get him out and then he headed for the truck and water. I do not like to see him scared, and am considering leaving him at home when I give lessons. On the other hand, I'm undecided, because he needs all the big-field work I can give him, and there is a part of me that thinks he should just get over himself, and grow up. Time will tell on this one.

No comments: