Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Aug 5, 2010

Week 89



Keeping things short and sweet, we never left the small practice field. As an accomplished Scottsman once told me; "just because you practice in the little field, doesn't mean you can't play with the big boys." Star's best work was done in practical work, and I was left with the impression of a very useful dog.

This week's lessons:
  1. Don't let him get to you
  2. The rolling stop
  3. In and by

Here's an excerpt:

I like this dog more each time I work him, and today my "like" started in the driveway. We worked in the little field across from my house, and while walking to the field, Star would not lay down when asked and I asked more than once with some intention. Why would I like that, right? Well, here's why; Star has always been hesitant about things. He questions, he thinks about it first, and he worries. So, when I see him become his own man, so to speak, I like it. One size does not fit all. I do not treat one of my dogs like the other. They are all uniquely different with individual temperments, personalities and talents. When Price did this kind of thing as a youngster, I corrected him. Without it I never would have gotten a 1 whistle down from him. Likewise Mirk. He's 7 and still has to be reminded. Star, on the other hand, needs confidence and an environment where he can find his power, so I allow the California stop from time to time, such as on the driveway this morning. Letting him have the reins and running through me a bit will help put the "dog" in him, as they say.

No comments: