Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Jul 1, 2010

Week 84

This time last year

This was an up and down week. Started down, then moved up quickly. I have not worked my dogs over big distance in a while, and it showed. Star rallied nicely though, and wound up impressing me...again.

This week's lessons:
  1. No, you're not in trouble
  2. You can't push a rope
  3. Look at that dog go
Here's an excerpt:
He's such a funny dog and sometimes I get awfully tired of cheerleading as I had to today. But then he does something brilliant, like stop on a dime, make a spectacular shed, or take a well-timed, appropriate grip, and I remember that he's not even 2 and growing into himself each time I work him. When things go all hooki-lau at distance, I can either stand flat-footed and scream at my dog, as if that will do any good, or I can bring it all back close, and refresh. Screaming would fail miserably with Star, but I prefer an alternate route with all dogs. Besides, who wants to spend their days standing and screaming?

No comments: