Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

May 30, 2010

Week 80

Star and I continued to practice his shedding this week, and it's getting easier for him. The weather is warming up here in sunny So Cal, so the works are shorter in duration, but as productive as ever.

This week's lessons:
  1. Repeat shedding
  2. Speed shedding
  3. Hold him

Here's an excerpt:

Star either had some luck today, or is finding his power to turn back sheep trying to break over him and join the cast offs. I am not sure which it was, but at one point, Star shed my ram away from his best friend, and the ram tried to break past him and join her. I am not sure whether it was skill or luck, because I just caught it from the corner of my eye. I saw the ram make a break, and I saw Star shuffle his feet. With that, the ram almost jumped to turn away from Star and stay with his group. I gave Star the benefit of the doubt, and praised him up for the effort. The final chapter of learning to shed for Star is to stop sheep in their tracks that are trying to break. His ability to do that will determine his success in life as a sheepdog, because without it you can never rise to the top.

No comments: