Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Feb 7, 2010

Week 64


This was a week of ups and downs for Star and for me. I ended the week feeling a bit like Star looks in this photograph, confused, but hopeful. I returned Timmy to his breeder deciding that it is better to let fate play it's hand, than to keep one that does not fit into my program. Weather and my lingering cold kept Star from doing much in the way of training.

This week's lessons:
  1. It never hurts to look
  2. Don't slow me down
  3. All is well that ends well

Here's an excerpt:

Instead of heading where the sheep were waiting right in the middle of the field, he took off for the farthest reaches of the pasture, checking every nook, and cranny, and corner, and dip. He looked around every boulder and beneath every tree just to be sure I wasn't trying to trick him. The interesting thing about his foray was the fact that he was maneuvering at top speed, never slowing, never hesitating, and never questioning, so I just let him go. Had I thought he was lost, or simply running out too wide, I would have stopped him to help, but it was clear to me that he was playing the game I have so diligently taught him over the last few weeks. He was actively looking for sheep, and in my opinion, running terrain.

No comments: