Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Nov 1, 2009

Week 50

Star took some initiative this week and impressed me with his maturity. He demonstrated "feel" at the top of his outrun by gauging flightiness of the sheep on his own without any prompting from me.

This week's lessons:
  1. Turn in, gather up
  2. I can do it on my own
  3. Load 'em

Here's an excerpt:

I noticed a tendency to read his sheep at the top today, and instead of turning in and rushing things, I saw him gather himself up before the lift. I have not stopped or otherwise steadied him on his lift at all, because I suspicion that I will need more dog there than less with him, especially when he gets a first look at range ewes. I have left him completely alone at the top to encourage all the confidence I can, but today it appears that he may develop some feel on his own. Star has never encountered sheep that he cannot move, but sooner than later he is going to encounter sheep that intimidate him, so I am doing everything I can to engender power.

No comments: