Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Oct 4, 2009

Week 46

All is right with our world this week and Star is continuing to train up smoothly. As the weather has cooled, I am able to put a little more training pressure on him and our sessions are a little longer now. He is only 1 year old after all, and I am still giving him lots of opportunity to grow, strengthen and mature.

This week's lessons:

  1. Here, not there
  2. Don't be fast, be smooth
  3. Tracking sheep

Here's an excerpt:

"Star was strong and snappy today. He is showing me more confidence every time I work him, which I did today on my quietest whistles. He flanked on the fetch easily and did so while fetching and off the pressure. He took beautiful half-flanks while driving and quietly handled my sheep in whatever manner I asked of him. I sped him up and slowed him down and his gathers were brisk and gorgeous. He was so precise on his flanks while driving and it's a joy to see his precision when I steady him and walk him up. His turns were flawless today, square without giving ground and just on the edge of the pressure where I like it."


No comments: