Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Aug 23, 2009

Week 39


It was a breakthrough week for Star man. His maturity and confidence caught up to his talent this week and he is beginning to make a dog, as they say.

This week's lessons:

  1. Flow and go
  2. A little feel

Here's an excerpt:

I can send him on a gather and get a decent outrun in both directions. Originally he was better to the left than to the right, but that has reversed, and he's a little tight on the come-bye side. I will leave that alone until I see how he is in the big field. He is running out and fetching with enthusiasm. He will flank off the pressure on the fetch to straighten the line. There is some hesitation with it some of the time, but some of the time, he gives it to me easily. Those flanks were sometimes too wide and it wasn't from the pressure of the sheep. It appeared to be out of caution and uncertainty, so I'm not worried about it. When he gave ground on the flanks, I simply said his name, or "here, here" to pull him in. Today he was turning sheep around me and driving them off willingly and happily. That was nice to see from a dog that was reluctant to drive just a week ago. They change so much at this age. He was driving away a hundred yards or so and would flank on the drive as well, inside and out, and I could stop him anywhere on his flanks to straighten the line.







No comments: