Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Jun 28, 2009

Week 32

Star had a few ups and downs this week. One was his first bath, which he survived despite the "you're killing me" look pictured here. He is such a precocious pup and I've asked a lot of one so tender. This week I sent him on big gathers of several hundred yards and it proved too much for him. He lost confidence and became cautious. So, it was back to basics and we finished the week in grand style.

This week's lessons:

  1. When to say "when"
  2. Little base hits

Here's an exerpt:

It was back to basics for Star man today and we worked on his favorite, the outrun, in the 3 acre field. Together we put the sheep out this morning from the overnight corral. I have been meaning to give Star exercises to increase his willingness to lean on the sheep more and we accomplished that first today. I unlatched the gate into the pasture, but held the chain and made Star drive against the sheep before letting it open. He needed a little encouragement, but came on to the point that the sheep split and he had to tuck in the ends, which was great. I like seeing him brash. Once he got everybody back together, I let the gate swing open, the sheep trotted through and Star broke to head them, which was fine with me. I wanted to keen him up and let him have fun today, and that was a great start.

No comments: