Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Jun 7, 2009

Week 29

Star gained a lot of ground this week as he is very precocious and learns quickly. I have to be oh-so-careful not to ask for too much too soon, as it is easy to do with one so capable. There comes a point in a learning session where a pup can become over-tired mentally, physically, or both. Once that happens, they are complying, not learning and it does them no good at all.

This week's lessons:

  1. Driving
  2. The inside flank

Here's an excerpt:

After working the other dogs, I started again as I had the first time, with him wearing sheep to me, but when I stopped to let him drive, he kept trying to head them and I worried him trying to keep him on my side of sheep. He became confused. Instead of recognizing that and returning to something he knows and is comfortable with, I switched back to inside flanks, which worried him more. It wasn't until he refused to lie down and kept moving away to avoid me that I realized I had gone too far. At that point I did finally return to something he likes and simply trotted around the field giving him the shush-and-flank letting him have his sheep his way. Ending on a happy note, he got another break while I worked the others.

The first-ever BorderSmith webcast was cut short by technical difficulties. I have them resolved for next time and I sincerely hope you will join us. To be able to instant message your questions, you must sign in, which I hope everyone will. Your participation is definitely the best part.

No comments: