Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

May 19, 2009

Week 26

Star became useful this week as I used him to move my ewes from their overnight pen to the 3 acre training field. Teaching him what needed to be done and watching him struggle to understand reminded me just how much easier it is to get things done with one of the big dogs. Somtimes I take them for granted.

This week's lesson:
  1. Working for a livng
  2. There's no I in team

Here's an excerpt:

Star had a bit of a hard lesson today. Instead of putting the ewes out, I was going to use him to put them away and headed down to the 3 acre training field with him. He knew where we were headed and broke down the lane without taking my stop or recall. There is an easement road to cross before the field, and I don't let the dogs cross it until I make sure it's clear of cars.Star crossed the road and waited at the gate eyeing the sheep. I considered a correction for not taking my commands, but decided against it because I want to encourage, not discourage his interest. It was hot, I was impatient with him, but purposefully calmed myself so as not to lose my temper. I left him at the gate and went back to the house for a lead. I put him on it then said "that'll do," gave him a tug and walked back up the drive before turning around to go back. He hadn't been on a lead in a while and it showed when he pulled on it, earning himself a sharp tug back. Then we walked back while I made him lie down and come back to me a few times when I said "here."

No comments: