Welcome to The Real Time Canine


My name is Amelia Smith of BorderSmith Kennel and with The Real Time Canine, I am providing training technique for Border Collie Sheepdogs. Beginning with 10 week old Kensmuir Star, I will document his daily lessons in words and pictures every Sunday. Previously subscription based, the complete working journal is now available here every Sunday.
...

From the moment I collected Star, his training began and you will be with us every step of the way. Good manners, willingness & confidence are necessary for him to attain my goal to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. From the first lessons on manners & socialization to his first exposure to sheep, you will be a part of Star's journey to success.
...

After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success in sheepdog trials at home and abroad and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website and my BorderSmith Blog! Cheers and thank you very much.

Mar 15, 2009

Week 17

Star had a busy week. He went with me and a friend to work dogs on a ranch about an hour away and we spent a lot of time out of doors. There are standards of good behavior for visiting and Star learned them when we went to the ranch. In my continuing efforts to socialize Star and develop our bond, we have increased play time. It's not enough for him to love me, I want his complete devotion and feel that it's important to our working relationship.

This week's lessons:
  1. Time to visit
  2. Time to play

Here's an excerpt:

I am making every effort to patiently wait him out, while doing whatever I can to increase his confidence. One of the things I am trying is play time. I want him to internalize that I am fun and trustworthy, so I am making time almost every day to rough house and play with him and he is responding. We wrestle and roll around together, he bites my feet, rolls on his back beside me and mouths my hands and arms while I rub his belly. The other day I took a blanket and played peek a boo. He ran around dragging it and I grabbed hold when he flew by and threw it over his head. He would struggle to get it off then fly around the yard again. He clearly enjoys this time together and it increases our bond. So cute.

On a light note, I have chosen winners for the BorderSmith Caption Contest. How clever everyone was with their entries and it was hard to choose just one, so I awarded first and second prizes. Check it out on the BorderSmith Blog.

No comments: